How do I copy an existing design to a new file with a larger circuit board?

PCB123 Schematic Questions and Discussion.

How do I copy an existing design to a new file with a larger circuit board?

by Eric » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

I want to create a new circuit board, but I need to start with an existing design that was made on a smaller board. Can I copy the schematic or layout information to a new file that contains a larger board?
Eric

Re:How do I copy an existing design to a new file with a lar

by Sal Hernandez » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

You can save your design as a template then load the template into a new board with a larger board outline. To do so, select File Save As Template. Give the template a name and select ok. Create a new board then right click on thelayout areaand select load selection. The only issue that you will run into is only the layout is saved. The schematic is recreated automatically. If you did not start from schematic, then you are all set. If you do have a schematic created in PCB123 this may not be the best option. Copy and paste of either the schematic or layout will have the same effect. Only the side that you copy will be maintained.

Rather than copy the work into a larger outline I would save the file off as a new name then make the outline larger and modify the design. This would maintain any schematic work and allow you more room to complete the layout. If you are not familiar with editing the board outline the following should help.
PCB How To Edit PCB's
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Return to “PCB123 Schematic”