problem: Create new part

Here you can find discussions pertaining to finding or creating Symbols and package footprints. Anything to do with Schematic or layout parts will be placed in this discussion.

problem: Create new part

by cerr » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:27 am

Hi,

I want to use a CP2102 in my circuit and I couldn't find it in PCB123 (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/696598) So I attempted to create my own part. I created everything and I can find it in Add Part - Manage Parts under Chips/Interface/ when i look for it but it doesn't show the actual device icon but it just displays my part on the right side while the directory is selected on the left.
It doesn't display a Manufacturer's part number tho. So when I add the correct part number, hit apply changes and create new part, i select the same folder and then hit OK, a dialog pops up saying "An error occurred while attempting to save your recent changes to the Custom taxonomy file. If you can resolve the problem causing the error you may try again to save your changes. Would you like to retry?" and it never goes away.... what's the problem here? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Ron
cerr

Re: problem: Create new part

by Sal Hernandez » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:21 am

When you select the item in the taxonomy in Manage Parts do you see both a footprint and a symbol selected along with the appropriate part number? If not, you will not be able to place the part on your schematic until the part is complete with a symbol, footprint and at least a Manufacturer's part number. If you are trying to modify an existing symbol you should select the symbol in the taxonomy, update as needed then select the Apply Changes button, no need to select Create New Part unless you are trying to add a new entry in the taxonomy. If you still have trouble I would delete your custom entry and try to create the part again in manage parts as a completely new part. If you still have questions please contact customer support.

If you are looking for more detailed instructions on Schematics and Using PCB123 please check out our PCB Schematic Layout Tools
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Return to “Schematic and Layout Parts (Libraries)”