Footprints with multiple pins for a single electrical connection.

Here you can find discussions pertaining to finding or creating Symbols and package footprints. Anything to do with Schematic or layout parts will be placed in this discussion.

Re:Footprints with multiple pins for a single electrical connection.

by Sal Hernandez » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

Thank you. Feel free to contact us if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Footprints with multiple pins for a single electrical connection.

by Bill1900 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

Is there a way to create a footprint with multiple pads connected to a single pin on the part's schematic symbol? As an example, I have a transistor in an SOT223 package, where both the center pin on one edge and the heat sink tab are connected to the collector. I don't want to have two collector pins on the schematic symbol, but I would like to have the flexibility to use either of the available collector connections when routing. Assume the collector is pin 2 on the schematic symbol, it seems that I would have to create a footprint with two pads assigned to pin 2, which PCB123 doesn't allow. Do you know a way around this restriction?
Bill1900

Bill, At this time you cannot have a single pin in the schematic that represents two pin on the layout. PCB123 requires that a pin exist on the schematic so that you can connect it on the layout. I will submit your feedback as an enhancement request for a future release. Thanks.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Sal Hernandez

I just thought of one work around but it won't work if you are already using hidden pins in your design. Create your symbol with one of the collector pins set as hidden. A hidden pin can only be assigned as VCC or GND but once you place the symbol on your schematic you will be asked to assign the hidden pin to a net. As long as you assign the same net to your visible collector pin as assigned to the invisible pinthe two are connected.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Sal Hernandez

by Bill1900 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

Thank you for the answers and the suggestion. I can see where using a hidden pin could work sometimes, but I already have logic with hidden power and ground pins on my schematic, and not all of my collectors are attached to the same net. For now, I'll just create a schematic symbol with multiple collector pins - it looks a little strange but it will work - and I'll keep an eye out for a fix in the future. I still really like your program and your PCBs and service are outstanding.
Bill1900

Re: Footprints with multiple pins for a single electrical co

by cgago » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Another example of the need to group pins are devices like the FCI Power blade connectors. As well as multiple individual signal connections these connectors have four connector blades that are connected to the PCB via 8 press fit through hole vias. An example of this is Digikey part number 51750-036LF-ND. This implementation would benefit by being able to put down a pad and have multiple via holes drilled within the pad area, or being able to group multiple through hole vias to one signal node. This would allow for one schematic connection with multiple physical entities. Thank you.
cgago

Return to “Schematic and Layout Parts (Libraries)”