Errata in Version 4 User Guide

Discuss PCB123. Talk to the influencers. Be an influencer.

Re:Errata in Version 4 User Guide

by ideaman4u » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks for this info. Looking forward to further clean up and enhancements to V4. As I said, it is head and sholders better than V3. I am starting to get used to it now, and making some real progress on my design.
ideaman4u

Errata in Version 4 User Guide

by ideaman4u » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

It appears that the genesis for Version 4 of the Users Guide was Version 3. While this is certainly acceptable, it would be nice if the references to Version 3 were eliminated from Version 4. I refer, for example, to the mention of Version 3 beginning on page 15 of the V4 User Guide. It would also be great to know what has basically changed between V3 and V4 latest build. Personally, I found V3 to be completely unusable due to software instability. To be fair, the latest build of V4 does seem much more stable. I am hoping this is true throughout the design cycle, as I am actively trying to design a new board using it.
ideaman4u

Re:Errata in Version 4 User Guide

by Sal Hernandez » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks for pointing out the v3 references. I have passed the info along to our product management team.

There have been many changes since v3 so trying to separate the v3 vs v4 changes can be a bit difficult.The versions tend to blend together when you are sitting this close.

The major difference betweenv3 and the latest v4.1 release is the work done to improve the synchronization code, error handling and protecting your schematic work. The communication between the layout/schematic has greatly improved resulting more complex designs generated in shorter time. Crash reports are rare and the majority of the calls and emails coming to support are new users learning the tool for the first time and experienced users offering feedback to improve PCB123 for the future. In v3 and in early v4 releases routing and changes to the layout would also change schematic wiring. The new release leaves your schematic wires alone if you route traces on the layout and switch out parts.

Items new to V4 that were not in V3

* Reroute schematic wires
* F9 Change net names in schematic
* F10 Change reference designators from schematic * F11 keyboard shortcut to review schematic nets
* F12 Display net names on pins
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Return to “General PCB123 Discussion”