how to move the origin

Here you can find discussions pertaining to finding or creating Symbols and package footprints. Anything to do with Schematic or layout parts will be placed in this discussion.

how to move the origin

by Roberto » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

Hi, I'm designing a round board, but unconveniently the board outline does not have its center at the origin. I rounded a square board outline with "convert to arc", as suggested. But now I would like to move the origin to the circle center (or the circle to the origin); otherwise I have to make a lot of calculations as I have to place holes in precise position, relative to the center. Anyone knows the trick? Thanks a lot, Roberto
Roberto

Re:how to move the origin

by Sal Hernandez » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

You cannot move the origin so you will need to move the outline and everything in it to the desired location. First set your grid to the radius of your circle.Drag a box around the entire layout to select all objects. Mouse over any of the selected objects, left click and hold then move your mouse towards the origin. Since you set your grid to the radius of your circle the entire layout should jump to and be centered around the origin.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Re: how to move the origin

by Sal Hernandez » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:52 am

Tim,

The origin in the layout editor cannot be moved or changed. You can move the layout to the origin but the origin remains fixed. I have submitted feedback to our development team requesting the ability to change the origin on the layout.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Sal Hernandez

by Dave_TX » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:16 am

Since I can't move the origin I need to move the layout so that the origin is where I want it to be in the layout. I tried selecting everything on the board including the outline. When I tried to move the selected items (everything) all but the already routed traces moved with the cursor. How do I get the traces to move along with everything else? I have a fair amount of time already invested in routing and would not like to have to do it again.
Dave_TX

by Sal Hernandez » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:32 am

Moving the entire layout, especially after it has already been routed, may result is some changes to the layout. If you have selected the entire layout traces should move along with the selection. Look to the right side of you screen and press the green button. This toggles selection to all on. This means you should be able to select all objects on the layout. Now drag a box around the entire layout and try to move the selection. If you still have trouble you can send your file to support@sunstone.com for review. If we can verify an issue we will report it to development.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Sal Hernandez

Return to “Schematic and Layout Parts (Libraries)”