Help reading footprints

Here you can find discussions pertaining to finding or creating Symbols and package footprints. Anything to do with Schematic or layout parts will be placed in this discussion.

Help reading footprints

by Pappion » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:46 pm

The PCB123 footprint selection process is too vague. I just don't know what I am getting. So, I blindly make a chose something from the description and have to check it later.

I can use the footprint editor and ruler to measure pad sizes and placement. However, it is a painfully slow GUI way to get text numbers that are already there.

I think the present process will lead to too many errors.
Does anyone have a better way?
Can the footprint files be read?
Pappion

Re: Help reading footprints

by Sal Hernandez » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:49 am

In the footprint selection window PCB123 provides the pitch, number of pins, drill size, body and height dimensions. This should give you at least some basic information describing the footprint. What other information would you find helpful?

If you cannot find the parts you need you can create your own footprints in PCB123. The majority of the parts were provided by Accelerated Designs. I always recommend checking each part as you use it in your layout. What do you suggest to make the parts selection process better?

The library files are not ascii so cannot be read directly.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Return to “Schematic and Layout Parts (Libraries)”