Creating edge card contacts

PCB123 Schematic Questions and Discussion.

Creating edge card contacts

by Thorium-229 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:58 am

Hello!
I just started using PCB 123 recently for a project i'm doing, but due to my inexperience I have gotten a bit stuck. So I want to create a PCB with about 50 card edge contacts. I have found a (seemingly) suitable connector:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... KXTX6MZBbl

But I'm having trouble interpreting the data sheet for the connector and getting necessary info about the layout of the mating card (my PCB). i.e. how far apart should the contacts be spaced, what are the dimensions of each contact, how far should the contacts be from the edge of the board, and how many contacts should be on each side of the gap in the board.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thorium-229

Re: Creating edge card contacts

by Sal Hernandez » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:30 pm

You first need to determine which part you will use either w/o latch on page 2 of 4 or with latch on page 4 of 4. Then you can use the recommended mating card layout on the corresponding page to design the footprint. You will actually need two footprints for an edge connector. One footprint for the top layer with odd numbered pads and another footprint for the bottom side with even numbered pads. 25 on each side for the 50 position part.

Working from page 4 of 4 the pads should be spaced .8 MM apart with a gap of 4 MM around the notch.

The dimensions of each contact are .55 x 2.6.
The edge of the pads should be 1 mm from the edge of the board.
Based on the measurements D and E from the table you can fit 11 pads in the are marked D and the remaining 14 pads on the right side of the notch.

Please contact customer support if you have any questions.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Return to “PCB123 Schematic”