Symbol editor shape problem

Discuss PCB123. Talk to the influencers. Be an influencer.

Re:Symbol editor shape problem

by ideaman4u » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

Yep, I tried that too. But the shaded area then expands causing the pin info to be partially covered by the shape. I just created a test symbol and found that using a line shape did not cause this problem this time. Seems a little unpredictable. Again, I will send you along a file with notes on what to look for. Thanks for your follow up.
ideaman4u

Re:Symbol editor shape problem

by Sal Hernandez » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

When I draw a part in the symbol editor I draw the symbol outline after I have the pins in place and the shaded area is the appropriate size. You can stretch and shrink the shaded area. Mouse over the side or a corner of the shaded area to expose the resize blocks. Left click and hold on one of the blocks to resize the shaded area.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Symbol editor shape problem

by ideaman4u » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

As you are aware, the Symbol Editor will not let you save a schematic symbol without shape information. I was designing a very simple (rectangular) part with 68 pins (34 per side). I note the hatched area that comes up when you start the SE and see (though experimentation) that pins line up touching this area. The problem is, that only rarely can I get a rectangle shape to match up to the hatched area. Almost invariably, either the rectangle "shrinks" to well inside the hatched area or the hatched area increases in size. In either case, the pins don't touch the rectangle shape (which I think they should). They are either "short" of the rectangle or, worse, is when the rectangle shrinks, as it obscures the pin names. I have tried messing with the Grid settings, but it is very hit and miss. Again, what am I doing that I shouldn't be doing?
ideaman4u

Return to “General PCB123 Discussion”