Layer Count

Includes information regarding protoyping, technical questions, company news, and input about our products.

Layer Count

by svl » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Hello,

I am new to PCB Manufacturing and have already gotten confused by the process. When the term "2 layer board" comes up, does this mean that there are a TOTAL of 2 layers (including signal, legend/overlay, solder, etc...) or that there are 2 SIGNAL layers (ones with copper on them, with overlay, solder, etc. layers omitted)?
The quoting page lead me to believe that 2 layer implied a board with 2 signal layers since for this type of board, Sunstone would require 6 gerber files (2 each for signal, solder and overlay layers). However, I have spoken with another company's representative and they told me that when THEY ask for layers, they mean every layer of the board.
I am very confused and would appreciate if someone cleared this up for me.

Thank you,
svl
svl

Re: Layer Count

by Sal Hernandez » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:29 pm

The layer count represents the number of copper layers in your pcb. A two layer board has two copper layers, top and bottom. A four layer board has four copper layers, top, bottom and two inner layers. The mask, silk, and drill information is not included in the layer count. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

by alina » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:35 am

The question is, what is the most fool-proof way to get a run of 15 4 layer boards done with a large hole cutout in the center and corner cutouts at each corner for mounting boss clearance? I could also use some slots but can work around with large holes for this one-off prototype.
We are the pioneers in providing comptia exam dumps and JUNIPER tutorials
alina

by Robert Ohanesian » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:22 am

You will need to go Full Feature for this type of board. The five cut outs eliminates it from our Quickturn service. But after that you can have up to 50 slots/cut outs in Full Feature. I think that would be your best bet for manufacturing the boards.

http://quoting.sunstone.com/QuoteFF.aspx
Regards,

Robert Ohanesian
Customer Support
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 800-228-8198
Fax: 503-829-6657
Robert Ohanesian

Return to “Products and Services”