What is necessary to "share" a library?

Here you can find discussions pertaining to finding or creating Symbols and package footprints. Anything to do with Schematic or layout parts will be placed in this discussion.

Moderator: Sunstone Moderators

What is necessary to "share" a library?

Postby dtaschler » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:02 pm

I currently work on two computers. I have a desktop at work that does all of my main design work. I use a laptop to work offsite and use it very often to draft part files. Typically, these files are saved to my Microsoft SkyDrive, so I can move them over to the network when I'm back at work. It would be extremely helpful if I could do this as well with PCB123.

I even thought about creating a new library named "InProgress" so that I could keep them separated until complete. What would be your suggestions for getting custom parts from one computer to another, or sharing libraries in a synchronized folder?

Thanks,
Dan
dtaschler

Re: What is necessary to "share" a library?

Postby Sal Hernandez » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:54 am

Sharing libraries between multiple computers requires having an exact copy of your library set on all computers. All of the custom library information you create can be found in your custom folder which is found in one of the two locations listed below.

Win7/Win8 C:\ProgramData\PCB123\Lib\Custom\

XP C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PCB123\Lib\Custom

In this folder you will find three different file types.

.slb = footprint libraries
.sym = symbol libraries
.tax = taxonomy entries

Please contact customer support if you have any questions.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Postby dtaschler » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:46 am

Sal,

I've found a way to syncronize the files from one computer to another. It does require additional software, but I think there are many people using these types of programs.

1. Download and install any of the options available for syncing files across computers (i.e. Microsoft SkyDrive, Dropbox, Syncplicity, SugarSync, etc.)
2. Once it is installed and syncing file between computers, open up a command prompt
3. Use the MKLINK command to create a new folder within the synced folder that has a "Directory Junction" to the Custom Library folder from PCB123. My MKLINK syntax looked something like this:

MKLINK /J "C:\users\username\skydrive\PCBsyncedlib" "C:\ProgramData\PCB123\lib\custom"

4. It is important to remember to let MKLINK create the folder and not to create it manually before running MKLINK.
5. The "Directory Junction" must be done on both computers in order to operate automatically. The syntax may differ from computer to computer, as the directory locations may be different.

I hope this helps other users!

Resources: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/04/24/how-to-add-external-folders-to-skydrive/
dtaschler

Postby Sal Hernandez » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks for sharing.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Postby dtaschler » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:39 pm

UPDATE!!!

I highly recommend copying the custom files to a temporary location while you set up the synched folder and Directory Junction. Mine deleted the files, as the new (empty) folder was newer on the second computer.

Another way around this is to actually copy the files to the other computer and then set up the synced folders and Directory Junction.

Dan
dtaschler

Return to Schematic and Layout Parts (Libraries)