Saving a symbol. Defining sections

Discuss PCB123. Talk to the influencers. Be an influencer.

Saving a symbol. Defining sections

by Intellijoule » Thu May 24, 2012 9:46 am

I created a symbol (Integrated Circuit) then tried to save the symbol but a note popped up telling me that I need to label at least one item in each section. What are the sections. The IC is only of one outline. Trying to save the symbol seems to have destroyed the symbol. This is not covered in the manual or the tutorials??? Nice software though!

:(
Intellijoule

Re: Saving a symbol. Defining sections

by Barbie » Sat May 26, 2012 8:56 am

Hello,

When creating a symbol you can have multiple sections. In the Section field of the edit symbol panel, you can Add New, Add Exisiting or Remove. A symbol can have multiple Sections. If you Select Add New it will Add a New Letter to the symbol in the drop down menu(see buttons on screen shot below). Add new will give you a new edit screen attached to a new Letter which will reflect a new section of the symbol. If you do not make any changes/edits to this section you will need to remove it prior to saving. See screen shots below. You can see the drop down with many Letters each containing a section of the symbol.
sections.JPG
sections.JPG (21.87 KiB) Viewed 4037 times
If they are empty or you did this by error, you will need to remove these unused sections (corresponding to the letter in the drop down field) prior to saving your symbol. By selecting the Letter and click the remove button as indicated.
removesection.JPG
removesection.JPG (71.42 KiB) Viewed 4037 times
Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks!
Barbie Dunham

Customer Support Representative
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 800-228-8198
Fax: 503-829-6657
Barbie