v5.1.0 Feedback

Discuss PCB123. Talk to the influencers. Be an influencer.

Moderator: Sunstone Moderators

v5.1.0 Feedback

Postby islobodov » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:55 am

So I've been using version 5.1.0 since it was released and have some feedback:

1) Thanks for the update regarding faster rendering of PCBs with complex polygon areas. The change is definitely noticeable and appreciated, but I'd say it is likely closer to a 2x boost in performance rather than 5-10x. On the PCBs I work with, it is still not possible to view the entire PCB with polygons rendered properly without PCB123 simply crashing. Although, it can zoom out a few zoom levels further than before while maintaining useable performance.

In regards to rendering speed, it seems like PCB123 does all the rendering on the CPU? While zooming or panning, I am not noticing any GPU utilization but full utilization of one core of the CPU. It seems like the biggest performance gains could be achieved by having PCB123 use the GPU to render graphics.... or if that is too difficult, at least to take advantage of multiple CPU cores.

2) There appears to be a significant memory leak in v5.1.0. After 2-3 hours of working on a complex PCB, the memory usage of the PCB123.exe process reaches approximately ~1.7 GB. After that point, it is unable to save the file currently being worked on, giving the error "Out of Memory" when pressing the save button (despite there being 6 GB of physical memory on my machine). If attempting to save the file just before that threshold of the memory leak is reached, it saves the file but gives the message "Project Saved Uncompressed" and saves the file at approximately ~10x its normal size. This is a serious issue as I find myself having to constantly monitor the memory usage of PCB123 now and make sure to save my file and restart PCB123 prior to it reaching 1.7 GB memory utilization, otherwise I will be unable to save. I don't believe this memory leak was present, or at least it wasn't as major, in the last release.

Please feel free to contact me for a sample file where I experienced these issues or if you need any help reproducing the problems.
islobodov

Re: v5.1.0 Feedback

Postby Sal Hernandez » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:23 pm

This is great feedback. Thank you. I will pass along the information to our developer.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Postby DougM » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's just me. I'm curious about your claim to faster rendering because for me, with a design done early this year (earlier version, but not much earlier), I am seeing two problems with normal rendering of all items in the layout view. First, it takes over 10 seconds for the design to refresh on the screen, either when any layer visibility is changed, or when zooming up or down. Second, the image is appearing off center. Moved upward and to the left, far enough to be partially out of view. Brand new problems that appeared after I loaded V5.1.1.0. What happened? Can I reload an earlier version?
DougM

Postby Robert Ohanesian » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:43 am

No it's not just you. We have had several people call and email that there seems to be a lag. It has to do with the full screen scroll. We are coming out with a patch for that in the newest version, 5.1.1.1. This should be coming out within the next week. I can help you go back to the previous version but hopefully you can wait just a few more days.
Regards,

Robert Ohanesian
Customer Support
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 800-228-8198
Fax: 503-829-6657
Robert Ohanesian

Postby bhankiii » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:07 pm

I am also getting the "out of memory" error. I'm currently at 3.9GB of my 8GB, with PCB using 1.73GB. What now?

I'm running W7 Home version (64bit) with SP1, on a HPE-240f. I have a not very complicated two layer board.

Update - I updated to the latest, 5.1.2. I still see the memory leak, although I don't know how large it gets since I've been watching my memory and restart the S/W after it reaches a Gb in size.
bhankiii

Postby svart » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:59 am

Just got hit by this memory leak problem. After 3-4 hours of work AND saving, I started having issues with doing things in the program. Clicking on things no longer worked, etc.

I saved one last time and exited the program and restarted it.

I opened up my last save and found it had NOT saved anything for the last 4 hours I had done, even though hitting the save button gave no error and the timestamp on the file itself showed I had saved only minutes before.

Wow, I have not had this issue with this program until now, and it just wasted so many hours, and now I'll do it all over again and I'm starting to think I may have made a bad choice putting my design into this program.

I like the service although the prices are a little high, but the program is starting to get on my nerves with all the time I have to spend fixing things after the fact with it.
svart

Postby chuotpatin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:47 pm

Just got hit by this memory leak problem. After 3-4 hours of work AND saving, I started having issues with doing things in the program. Clicking on things no longer worked, etc.

I was like you, now I'm having difficulty.... :(
chuotpatin

Return to General PCB123 Discussion