Fab & Assembly Drawings

Discuss PCB123. Talk to the influencers. Be an influencer.

Moderator: Sunstone Moderators

Fab & Assembly Drawings

Postby DougM » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Some clients of mine like to have traditional PCB Fab & Assembly drawings to go with their documentation. I've figured out how to get something close with the Print Artwork command, but I'd like to add my own notes onto the resulting drawing. I can move the Board Stackup diagram and Drill Chart to different locations, but when I save, or try to print artwork, the PCB123 PCB Design Software moves them back to default locations, not allowing room for adding notes to the drawing. A bug? Or is there a way around this?
DougM

Re: Fab & Assembly Drawings

Postby Sal Hernandez » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:28 am

I will submit an enhancement request to allow saving a moved title or drill drawing box on the mechanical layer.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Software Support Engineer I
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Phone: 503-829-9108 x226
Fax: 503-829-5482
Sal Hernandez

Postby DougM » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks. I see that I can apply notes on the drawing outside of the board, using any of the available layers. But for them to appear, one has to also show everything else on that layer. Not what I want on a fab drawing. Is there a way of placing notes on the "mechanical layer"? What is that layer? Where the board outline resides? How do we access it in general, like the other layers?
DougM

Postby Sal Hernandez » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:07 am

The PCB123 Mechanical layer is the layer that shows the layout title block and board stackup. You can add information to this layer just as you would any other. In the Layer Display section of the Edit panel it is the layer labeled Mechanical. You can't place anything other than a cutout on the same layer as the board outline.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Sal Hernandez

Postby DougM » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:03 pm

So is the board outline on the mechanical layer? In that case, you're saying you can, and then you can't. The edit panel only allows you to turn the display of existing elements on or off. It does not enable you to add information. The buttons along the right side, that do allow you to add items, include all the layers EXCEPT the mechanical layer. How do I add text to the mechanical layer? Can you please add that one button to the right side? And what do those non-responsive P & D buttons do?
DougM

Postby Sal Hernandez » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:26 pm

The board outline is on every layer while you are in PCB123, but when we output the gerber data you have the board outline on a layer of its own. There is also a copy of the board outline on the paste, drill drawing, and assembly layers.

The buttons along the right side do not allow you to add information. The buttons near the top, on the right (Selection Toolbar), allow you to toggle the ability to select object. The next tool bar (Layers toolbar) on the right allows you to select the active layer. This in conjunction with the appropriate tool allows you to add information to your layout. The last tool bar (Zoom Toolbar) on the right provides zoom and grid options.

The two inactive button on the Layers tool bar are for functionality that has not yet been implemented. The P is for paste and the B I believe is for bottom paste. Please feel free to contact customer support if you have any questions.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Sal Hernandez

Postby DougM » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Valuable info, but my original question isn't being answered. How do you add notes which will show in printed artwork, which only contains the mechanical layer, board outline, and drill symbols (a fab drawing)?
DougM

Postby Sal Hernandez » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:13 am

To add notes to a layer you need to do the following.

1. Select the layer you want to add text to. You can do this by either selecting the layer name in the layer display section of the Edit Panel or by selecting the appropriate button on the right side Layer toolbar. I always use the layer display.

2. Select the Add Text toolbar button.

3. Type your notes.

4. Select OK.

5. Place your text.

6. Once have placed all of the text you need press Esc twice to return to the Select Object tool.

You can add Text to any layer available in the Layer Display. If you want the text to show up on the physical pcb you can use a copper layer or a silkscreen layer. If you want the text in the design but not on the physical pcb you should use either the Mechanical or Drill Drawing layers.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Sal Hernandez

Postby DougM » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:07 am

OK I finally got it. I never knew that the Layer Display also enabled a layer for adding info. Thanks!

Now, the next issue is with the assembly drawings. I want a mirror view of the bottom of the board, and I get this by checking the "mirror" box. However, everything else, including the Drill Drawing and Mechanical Layer get mirrored as well, which I don't want. Is there a way of selectively mirroring just the layers you want mirrored?
DougM

Postby Sal Hernandez » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:21 am

You would need to print just the layer you want mirrored and leave the others unchecked.
Regards,

Sal Hernandez
Sunstone Circuits
13626 S. Freeman Road
Mulino, OR 97042
Sal Hernandez

Next

Return to General PCB123 Discussion